Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Express yourself with JustRite


Kids today are expressing themselves with text messages on cell phones, wallpaper and flares on Facebook, and even tattoos. So I thought it would be fun to make these *old fashioned* looking letter blocks for my daughter to put on her desk to display her mood for that moment. The words that are missing are *unhappy*, and *exhausted*. She loved them and wanted to put them on her desk right away. She should know better than that...they had to be photographed first, of course!!! Duh!! *grin* Kellie Fortin (from JustRite) came up with a clever name for this set of blocks. She calls them the *moodometer*. I like it. *grin*

Now you may wonder about the color and paper choice for a girl. My daughter loves jewelry, even wears make-up on most days, but she hates flowers and pink. She also loves sweatshirts, t-shirts and hats. Not your typical teenage girl I guess. She even hates talking on the phone. I should probably count my blessings on that one...LOL

Anyway...back to the blocks. First I gave the blocks a primer coat of ivory acrylic paint. While they were drying, I stamped the 90 pt Brayton Font letters (JR) with my 1/2" Vertical Stamper (JR) ( I was able to put a different letter on each end...very handy) onto Neenah Natural White, cut them out with the Octagon Nestabilities (Spellbinders) and matted them with the Labels III Nestabilities shape (Spellbinders). The 1" blocks were then covered with the Cosmo Cricket Line "Lil' Man" using Mod Podge, and were ink distressed with Vintage photo (Ranger Distress Ink) to give it that aged look. I then added another coat of Mod Podge. That's it. It's a very simple project, although a bit time consuming with all the steps.

Be sure to check out what the other Dream Team girls have have up with. They have some fabulous ideas. Here's the schedule again:

Monday - Kimberly , Laurie , and Michelle
Tuesday - Charmaine , Michelle, Cammie , and me
Wednesday - Denise , Michelle, and me
Thursday - Cindy , Laurie , and Michelle
Friday - Cindy , Cammie , Michelle, Denise , and me

Supplies:
Stamps - 90 Brayton Complete Font Set (JustRite)
Paper - Lil' Man (Cosmo Cricket), Intense Teal (Prismatics), Neenah Natural White
Ink - Tuxedo Black (Memento), Vintage Photo (Ranger Distress)
Accessories - Labels III and Octagon Nestabilities (Spellbinders), 9 - 1" blocks, Ivory acrylic paint, Mod Podge, Cuttlebug, Vertical Stamper (JustRite)

16 comments:

StampOwl said...

great project Tosh love your blocks

Denise Marzec said...

This is AWESOME!...Awesome, I tell ya! Love the name "moodometer" too! Hee!

I'm with your daughter, I'm not really a pink girl and I don't like talking on the phone either.

LOL that things have to be photographed first...yeah, duh! ;)

Unknown said...

This is absolutely the cutest!!! The idea is a great one, the paper, the shapes of the layers, the colors, it's all fabulous Tosh! But I really need my set to say exhaustsed! LOL!

Kimberly Crawford said...

AMAZING!! Totally clever and totally fun!! You amaze me, Tosha!!!
And I hear your DD on the no pink thing! :)

Charlene Merrick (LilLuvsStampin) said...

What a fabulous idea, Tosh! So cute!

Deborah Saaranen said...

So very cool! Love this! I'll bet your daughter is over the top on this one!

Deb Saaranen

Amy Sheffer said...

Amazing, Tosh!! Love the "moodometer" name!

Gabriela said...

Your blocks are just precious! I have a feeling that they are going to become a family heirloom. What a thoughtful gift for your DD. Clearly there is no end to your talent. Do you ever sleep?

Anonymous said...

What!! These are fab I tell you!! I had to pull my daughter over to the computer to look. These would totally be her colors too as she is not a pink kinda girl. Great job!
--Becca

Mothermark said...

You mispelled a word! Snort!

OMG! This is just awesome! What a fun and creative project! I love, love, love them! They are amazing to look at.....you been really doing some unique, creative and really cool stuff! I love that!

Silke Ledlow said...

WOWZER- Tosh - this is brilliant!!! You totally rock :) Love the colors and everything else about it!!!

Cindy Haffner said...

How cool tosh, love the colors, Hugs Cindy xxoo

Angella D. Crockett said...

This is such a fantastic idea! I love your creative mind! God Bless! Angella

Angella D. Crockett said...

Omigosh! I've been trying to leave a comment for a week, and it finally took it! Woo hoo! Please know that I've tried many times!!!

Carolyn King said...

FANTABULOUS Tosh! I love those blocks---too cool! My dd would love these too!

Rose Ann said...

Your blocks are so very creative and fun, Tosh!! I totally LOVE how they turned out!! You amaze me, girl!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs