Sunday, February 28, 2010

Flower Tutorial

Hi everyone!! The weekend is almost over...*sigh* I hope yours was wonderful! I got a lot accomplished. One main thing being the cleaning and organizing of my stamp space. Woo-Hoo!! Now I should be able to find things without spending hours of digging and searching. LOL

Well, I promised a tutorial on how I make my flowers. I learned how to make flowers from the Paper Bouquet Floral book by Susan Tierney-Cockburn. Here's my take on a flower made with the three smallest Dahlia Spellbinders Dies. You can get the Dahlia die, as well as many of the new Spellbinders dies at Stamper's Dream. That store is a one stop shop, I tell ya. A huge variety of stamps, Ribbon, buttons, Rhinestones, and more.

You will need two of the larger, 6 of the middle size, and two of the smaller. I forgot to add the black snowflake punched piece in the photo, so here it is below. You will need two of these. These will be your stamens.



I don't usually cut into the petals, but I wanted a full flower with this shape, so I cut part way in on each petal section of every piece.


I then cup and shape the flower (Terms used by Susan), by placing my flower upside down on a thick foam mat, and firmly rubbing the stylus over the flower in circles. The petals naturally cup, and the cs is softened making it easier to work with in the next steps.


After that, I brushed some Sunflower Yellow Brilliance ink onto the petals and curled them a bit by wrapping them lightly around the stylus.



Then, by poking the stylus in the center and pressing down firmly, the flower will curl up around the tool giving it some shape.

After you've done each of these steps with each piece, you're ready to layer. I use a small dot of Tombow Mono Multi liquid glue between each layer. When dry, fluff up the petals a bit.

I didn't show it, but the I curled up the more central layers a bit more before layering. Almost into a ball. That gives the center a tighter feel.


Finally, I added the snowflake stamens to the center and some Cinnamon Stickles. I left it wet so you could see how I added it. Nothing fancy...just enough to give it some depth and sparkle. That's it. Click HERE to see the card I used this flower on.

I do these steps with all my flowers and leaves. Well, except for the curling. Sometimes I omit that step.

Hope this helps. Have fun!! And Happy stamping!!

24 comments:

StampOwl said...

fabulous tutorial Tosh

Unknown said...

This is a GREAT tutorial, Tosh! I am such a visual person, and the pictures with your instructions make it sound oh-so-easy! I WILL be making some of these gorgeous beauties! :)

Merry said...

Brilliant tutorial. Thanks for taking the time to do it. Now I have never thought to use a snowflake in the centre of flowers...how perfect.

Gabriela said...

Wow! What an impressive looking dahlia. I adore the black stamens with the cinnamon Stickles. The gentle curling of each petal is just perfect. Thanks so much for such an aptly written tutorial and superb photos.

Sheila H said...

This flower is absolutely beautiful! And your tutorial is great.

Kathy Jones said...

Fantastic Tutorial Tosh!! I am soooo going to be trying this!!

Susan said...

Thank you for sharing your knowledge, this is so beautiful!

Deuteronomy 7:9
Know therefore that the LORD thy God, he is God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations;

Cindy Haffner said...

Thanks Tosh!! Your flower is GORGEOUS!!

Beth Pingry said...

Beautiful! Great use of Spellbinders dies throughout your blog!!

Joan Ervin said...

I LOVE, LOVE LOVE this Tosh...WOW!!!! I have got to make one of these, for sure...the flower is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!

Conniecrafter said...

it is just gorgeous, thanks so much for sharing!!

Laurie Schmidlin said...

OMGosh, Tosh!!! (okay...now I'm giggling...I had no intention to make a rhyme!!)! Seriously though, your flowers are AMAZING!! They honestly look like some gorgeous Primas...that I personally would pay a fortune for!! Hee! :-) You the BOMB girlfriend!!

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

Stunning Tutorial Tosh!! I will definitely give this a try!! Awesome tutorial!!

Memories of Time said...

I agree with Laurie.. TOTAL BOMB BABY!! YOU ROCK!

Linda Carson said...

FABULOUS! Thanks!

Rebecca Ednie said...

I think this tutorial is awesome! Thanks so much.

Denise Marzec said...

Oh AWESOME tutorial. They totally look like the fancy new store-bought primas. Gorgeous girl, totally gorgeous!

...and dang, now I think I need to buy dahlia nesties!

LorettaL said...

Tosh, this is AWESOME!!! I signed up to the SCS thread that has paper flower tutorials, so I've seen everything other people can find for me ;) and I like this flower the best. Going to give it a go with grunge paper...

Sankari W. said...

HOld on a second while I go get some oxygen so I can breathe again! THAT tutorial is INCREDIBLE woman!!! You make it seem so easy, that looks out of this world awesome - can't believe that is paper!! That cinnamon stickles is the perfect touch!!! I absolutely ADORE this tutorial Tosh!! You are my hero!!!
lots of love,
Sankari :)))))

Julie- justwritedesigns said...

What a great looking flower! Love it!

Kim said...

I'll definitely have to try making some of these! Gorgeous!

dpkennedy said...

I can't remember if I told you how much I loved this flower-well there, I just did! It's gorgeous!

donna mikasa said...

Thank you for sharing such a great tutorial! My Dahlia Nesties just arrived and I can't wait to make some flowers...

Anonymous said...

I just found your tutorial and sent it to my scrap buddies. Very real looking. Love it. Thanks for sharing. Connie NH

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs