Friday, June 19, 2009

Fond Memories...

When I saw these Candy Jars by Impression Obsession, I was immediately taken back to my childhood. I've lived in different states, towns and cities, but they always had dime stores; and my brother and I loved it when we were given a chance to go pick out some penny candy. The reason it was such a treat is because it was such a rare opportunity. One I still remember and treasure today; drooling over the varieties and trying to make a choice with the few coins I had. My mom and brother (as well as my children now) were *hard candy* lovers. I always went for the chewy stuff myself. So the Candy Sticks in this image really stood out to me. You see, when I go to the local candy store to get candy apples, I always bring back some hard candy sticks because my kids love them. Again, this is a rare treat for them, just like it was for me, because we don't do it that often. Maybe they'll have some fond memories like I do. (These two boxes will be going on their desks tonight as a sweet surprise. )

Anyway...on to the card.
I loved coloring these varieties. And to give the rock candy a bit more realism, I added some Ultrafine Transparent Glitter with my Quickie Glue Pen to give them some sparkle. The jar lids were colored with a silver pen, and the sentiment on top is from the JustRite set Celebrations Demi Phrases.

Michelle carries Martha Stewart Punches now, and I'm a punch-a-holic. So, of course, I had to use a couple on here: the New Scallop Edge, and the Flourish border. I ink distressed the papers with Antique Linen and Frayed Burlap (Ranger Distress Ink), and ran my Ink Distress Tool (SU) over the papers lightly to give it all a more vintage feel. To finish it all off, I added some Chocolate Grosgrain Ribbon and some Chocolate PTI buttons, (as well as a miscellaneous button from my stash), and some Natural Burlap String (May Arts).

The little boxes were made with a template that my dear friend Laurie designed awhile back to hold pencils. You can find the template HERE. I thought they'd be perfect to hold these little treats...and the were!! All the measurements were done for me...woot!! I just shortened mine to 5" so the candy would show a bit more, and added Chocolate Grosgrain Ribbon and some PTI Wooden Buttons.

The yummy Lil' Man Cosmo Cricket paper can all be found at Stamper's Dream too, as well as the images, ribbon, and just about everything you might need to make a card. Michelle even ships out of the country, and almost always by the next day! Talk about service.

That sums up today's project!!
Happy Weekend ya'll!!
And Happy Stamping too!!





Stamps: Candy Jars (Impression Obsession), Celebration Demi Phrases (JustRite)
Paper: Lil' Man (Cosmo Cricket), Birchtone Light, Medium and Dark, and Simply Smooth (Prismatics)
Ink: Tuxedo Black (Memento), Frayed Burlap and Antique Linen (Ranger Distress)
Accessories: Rectangle and Circle Nestabilities (Spellbinders), Border Punches (Martha Stewart), Swiss Dot and Distressed Diamonds Embossing Folders (Cuttlebug), Chocolate Grosgrain Ribbon and Natural Burlap String (May Arts), Buttons (PTI and miscellaneous), Glitter, Quickie Glue Pen, Hot glue, Dimensional Tape, Candy Sticks, Copics, Silver Pen

19 comments:

Connie M. said...

OMGoodness, Tosh...this is just over the top adorable and fun!! Love them all!

Gabriela said...

I have three words for you young lady: TO - DIE - FOR. Thanks so much for the wonderful trip down Memory Lane.

Judy Rozema said...

So so cute!! And definitely yummy! We used to get two of those sticks at the candy store - I still LOVE them!! Darling projects - the coloring is so fun!

Cindy Haffner said...

Tosh fun, fun fun love your candy!!!!!

StampOwl said...

ohhhhhhhh I love em ... now I wanna eat candy and it is only breakfast LOL!

Denise Marzec said...

Oh YES, I remember riding my bike with my friends to the local dairy to buy penny candy. Thanks for the walk down memory lane, Tosh!

Love those treat boxes. So cool!

Joanne (jojot) said...

see how young you are ...what you bought for a dime we bought for a penny...lol

what a fabulous image and the card you created with it is just darling

Crystal said...

These are YUMMY ! And bringing back the memories are sweet ! Love this project , Tosh ! Love your blog !

Gail said...

Great card! Now I'm going to HAVE to add the stamp to my collection! Brings back memories. you did a great job ;)

nise said...

Oh my!! Your card is just too sweet! I can almost taste the candy. Thanks for the stroll...

Sandee Shanabrough said...

Hi Tosh! I love this little candy set! You do beautiful work and I have enjoyed getting to know you! I want you to have a little award! Just go to my blog for details!
Sandee

http://simplysouthernsandee.blogspot.com/2009/06/these-three-remain.html#comments

ChristineCreations said...

Oh it looks JUST like a Candy shot Tosh! Totally pretty and *sweet* (lol), isn't it funny the memories candy can evoke!?

Laura (scrapnextras) said...

So sweet Tosh! Fond memories indeed. Reminds me of visits to Gramma's. She lived in the city, we in a small town, and I loved the corner store by her house. To this day I love apothecary jars. I think they are beautiful by design (and contents!). Beautiful card, wonderful treat for the kids!

Amy Sheffer said...

Adorable, Tosh! Love that image and the fond memories it evokes!

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous project!! Thanks for bringing back the memories.
--Becca

Conniecrafter said...

too cute, love your coloring of the image and neat treat holder!

Grace said...

Oh Tosh... this is over the top! Just fantastic! Love the glitter! What a great project!

Silke Ledlow said...

Super yummy-licious Tosh!!! This does remind me of our local candy store when I grew up - what awesome and fun memories this card is bringing back :)!!! Fabulous designed card and treat boxes!!!

Dina Kowal Creative said...

Awesome, Tosh - I soooooo love this image. :)

Dina

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs