Friday, January 8, 2016

Stretch Yourself with a Power Poppy Power and Spark Challenge!!


Hello everyone!!  Today I'm sharing my first project of the New Year, and it's for the Power and Spark Challenge over on the Power Poppy Blog.  I have the honor of hosting it this month, and I inadvertently pushed myself right out of my box.  

http://powerpoppy.blogspot.com/
First of all, let me tell you about the challenge.  The New Year is a time to start fresh, and often we challenge ourselves with resolutions.  Those can be tall orders for some of us depending on the goals we set.  So, for today's Power and Spark Challenge, I'd like you to Stretch yourself and create a "Tall" card, while using something "new-to-you" on it.  It could be a technique, a stamp, some paper, or dies...whatever you can come up with.

Awhile back I found a watercolor video tutorial by Jennifer McGuire using the Gansai Tambi Watercolor set.  Now, I've never colored with watercolors before,  (I've used Tombow markers, but never actual watercolors.) and Jennifer explains her technique so well.  These watercolors are pure creamy goodness and so easy to work with, especially the way Jennifer explains it.

I started by stamping Power Poppy's Potted Primroses, with Versamark, onto Tim Holtz Distress Watercolor Cardstock like Jennifer suggests.   I then heat embossed them with Super Fine Detail Black Embossing Powder (Ranger).  After watercoloring them, I fussy-cut them out and diecut them using the Stitched Rounded Rectangle (Die-Namics) so they would fit perfectly on another piece of watercolor paper that I diecut with the same die.  I also colored a couple of "lone" primroses and adhered them along with some vellum cut Feathers (Spellbinders).  

I thought the sentiments from the Good Thinking Renewal (Power Poppy) set fit perfectly for the start of a New Year, so I added one to the top, and one to a tag.  I also added some flags using the Stitched Fishtail Flag die (Die-Namics), and a cut-out panel using Stitched Basic Edges (Die-Namics).  Everything listed, as well as the paper (Wish Seasons by Fancy Pants) is new to me, and was fun to put all together.

That's it for my project.  For some more inspiration, check out my fellow Bloom Brigaders.  These gals have some serious skilz!!!
Thank you so very much for stopping by!  I hope you'll find time to play along with our Power and Spark Challenge this month.

Happy Stamping!

__________________________________________________________________________

StampsPotted Primrose and Good Thinking Renewal (Power Poppy)
Paper:  Distress Watercolor (Tim Holtz), Winter Seasons (Fancy Pants), Vellum
Ink:  Versamark
Dies:  Stitched Basic Edges, Stitched Rounded Rectangles, Stitched Fishtag Flags (Die-Namics), Folding Tag (Waltzingmouse), Feathers (Spellbinders)
Accessories:  Gansai Tambi Watercolors, Sequins (Pretty Pink Posh), Silver Cord,, Organza Ribbon, 1" Corner Rounder (EK Success) 

8 comments:

Melanie Ann MacKenzie said...

Your card is stunning as they always are. Quite an interesting challenge you have proposed and you certainly fulfilled it yourself. Just beautiful. Cheers.

Stacy Morgan said...

Tosh this is beautiful... oh I adore the vellum feathers. The sketch and all your detail is awesome. The colors are fresh feeling and awesome flowers girlie.

Leslie Miller said...

Challenged yourself right out of your comfort zone? It looks pretty fabulous to me! Guess that's the nature of a challenge, right? You did such a nice job with those watercolors. I've never used real watercolors, either. I still have soooooo many inks and markers and pencils. Sheesh! Really love these colors and the perfectly matched ribbon. Cool design! Looks like fun! Thanks for a great challenge, Tosh!

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, Tosh, first of all, what a great challenge for the start of a new year (and after Christmas too - hehe!). I love how you've started us off with your gorgeous card! You've watercolored the primroses beautifully, and I really love the layout with such a delightful "collage" of flowers, luscious bow and clever tags, and the bottom too with the Stitched Basic Edges dies (that I recently got too!) and the fishtail tags - oh, wow! It's truly a feast for my eyes to behold. I love every inch of it and keep looking at the the wonderful details! It's gorgeous! Thanks for a great challenge, and hugs, sweet friend!

ChristineCreations said...

Oh I just LOVE the colour combination you’ve got going on Tosh and the fun flags and patterns are really great!

D- said...

Thanks for sharing your gorgeous card. I loVe your colors.
Crafty hugs,
Dawn
DesignsByDragonfly.blogspot

Joni said...

Beautiful card.

Pretty Paper Junkie said...

I think it's wonderful that you can put all those papers and accessories on one georgeous card. I am so challenged with paper. I drag all those pretty papers fully intending to use them all and 90% of the time they don't make it on the card. I really admire your talent.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs