Friday, April 20, 2012

Black on Black Inspiration Motivation





6+ years ago, I joined the online stamping community called Splitcoaststampers and have met some of the most talented, warm-hearted, and generous women a person could be blessed to know. One of those such women is my dear, dear friend Laurie, known as Lauraly on Splitcoast. Her blog is Just Give Me Stamps.  We've been friends for over 5 years and awhile back we used to set up challenges for each other.  Well, while talking the other day, I happened to be on pinterest and noticed a pinner had pinned a lot of black on black and black on gray images.  Laurie makes beautiful, beautiful cards using that color palette.  So, based on that inspiration, we decided to challenge ourselves to use just that color combo with a "splash" of color.  Now, my card doesn't include a splash...more like a drip of pink, but I did get the black on black.  ;)

I started off by creating the cameo medallion using the Waltzingmouse set Cameo Creations.  The frame is embossed with silver ep, and the silhouette with black ep.

The background panel is hard to see with all the embellishing on the front, but I embossed a border image, from the set Paris Nouveau, with black ep onto Smokey Shadow PTI cardstock.  The sentiment is from the WMS set Teeny Trees.





I made the little Yo-yo Organza flower with some pink organza fabric, and before closing it up, I added some Pink Glass Glitter by Melissa Frances. I finished it off with a Pearl Vintage Button by Basicgrey.

Did you notice the Black Millinery Netting behind the cameo?  I think that stuff is so cool, and gives some fun texture to my card.  I got the black netting, as well as some white from a fabulous online store called The Funkie Junkie.  If you like vintage embellishments, you really should check out this store!!

I also used quite a bit of dies on this vintage inspired card:  Romantic Rectangles, Floral Ovals, and Persian Accents by Spellbinders, and Nested Sentiment dies by JustRite Stamps.

Lastly, I added a crystal rhinestone flourish from Zva Creative, and a few pearls from Pizzazz Aplenty.  And that's it.

Be sure to stop by and see what Laurie came up with for our black on black Inspiration motivation.  That girl has more stamping skills in her little finger, than I could ever dream of having.  So if you're looking to be inspired, or motivated to try this color combo, be sure to head on over to Just Give Me Stamps for a peek at her project.

Thanks so much for visiting.  Be sure to stop by on the 22nd.  I have a Verve project to share with ya'll that day.

Happy Stamping my friends!!

post signature

_________________________________________________________________________

Stamps:   Cameo Creations, Paris Nouveau, Teeny Trees (Waltzingmouse Stamps)
Paper:  Smokey Shadow, Black and Soft Stone (PTI)
Ink:  Versamark
Accessories: Romantic Rectangles, Floral Ovals, and Persian Accents dies (Spellbinders), Nested Sentiment dies (JustRite Stamps), Black Millinery Netting (The Funkie Junkie), Vintage Button (Basicgrey), Rhinestone Flourish (Zva Creative), Pearls (Pizzaz Aplenty), Glass Glitter (Melissa Frances), Organza Fabric, Black and Silver Embossing Powder, Dimensional Tape (Scotch)

15 comments:

Laurie Schmidlin said...

Ummmm, TOSH...I just fell outta my chair! Seriously! Holy COW girl, this card is amazing! Like a feast for my eyes! The subtle black embossing...and the elegant black on white...wow! And THAT FLOWER!!! (Yes, I'm raising my voice!!) One word...TUTORIAL (please)!!!! Please show us (those that are sewing and flower challenged) just how you did that fantabulous flower!!!

Heidi Brawley said...

WOW this is Fabulous!!! love the black on black!!

Conniecrafter said...

Gorgeous, love the embossing on black, great use of the dies and neat idea to add the glitter inside the flower, great look!

Unknown said...

OH MY.......this is exquisite!

Marisa said...

Love your take on the challenge, Tosh! The cameo is framed wonderfully and love the bling and your "drip" of colour :) Have a great weekend.

Wanda Cullen said...

Well, Tosh, I can tell you that you have every bit the talent that Laurie has...in fact, you're both at the top of my fave stamper list! This card is STUNNING!! So many wonderful details with the glitter inside the flower...the fishnet BG, etc. This couldn't be more elegant!

Carla Murphy said...

OMGosh Tosh! This is incredible. I just love it. Love how you added the glitter inside the ribbon bow - where do you come up with this stuff??! Just Amazing. (I looooove Laurie's cards as well... I consider it a wise crafting decision to subscribe to you BOTH.) Happy weekend. 8)

Elaine said...

Very lovely! Love all the different embellishments!

Ida said...

Stunning!

scrappingnana said...

Gorgeous card. Love the black on black and your little organza flower. TFS

irishgreensue said...

So elegant, Tosh!! Your black on black (with the drip of pink - LOL) is a smashing success - Love that little flower - I'm with Laurie - we need a tutorial on that flower - you work such magic with flowers!!

Debbie said...

Absolutely stunning! I am in awe of your talent! Love that netting!

Inkyfingers said...

This is amazing Tosha. Love all the wonderful detail and texture.

~ Jo ~ said...

This is just gorgeous Tosh! I love the black on black and I did see Laurie's card as well and you ladies did a fantastic job!

Jo
www.jwscrapshack.blogspot.com

Carole said...

Awesome creation Tosh, love black and white, always so elegant and classy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs